Oct 11, 2007

Video Vault Thursdays!

So, Warren Ellis had an old PiL video up and it gave me the impetus to go nosing around on YouTube just to see what I could find. These searches are a bit organic, one thing leads to another and I found this old ditty that was a favorite and I thought I would share:



*further note! - I guess they’re rooting this stuff out so I’ve posted a live performance by Lene Lovich of the song although it doesn’t have the charm of the video the song is still kick ass.

*note - so, I put the link up earlier today and then it got bounced via YouTube because as they put it, it violated a copyright claim by Viacom. Now I was able to go back and find it but, what I don’t understand and what makes absolutely no sense to me is this: it’s something from almost 20 years ago that saw regular rotation on music video channels. This is not a pay site, there is no money being made off of the display of the video and if anything it would remind people what a great tune this is and hopefully they’ll go out and buy it. I think the phrase that would apply under these circumstances is ‘free advertising?’ No one is going to seek out a song they’ve never heard or haven’t heard in a lonng, long time so aside from the artist - who do they think they’re hurting?

No comments: